Aadhar card is Mandatory for Tax filing and e-verification of Income Tax Return (ITR). Many people have the wrong idea that only those who are liable to pay income tax in any financial year need to file returns. There are many different classifications or classes of people who need to file income tax returns irrespective of their income for a given Financial Year. Thus it is safe to say that for most adults filing Income Tax returns every year is a constant part of their lives and they have to follow the proper procedures for filing these returns, however these procedures and processes have changed over the years with new developments and progress in technology. One such change is filing the Income Tax Return online. The e-filing or electronic/online filing of the ITR has been made mandatory for everyone other than a small, extremely specific set of people who are still allowed to file on paper.
It can be safely said that the BJP government under the leadership of Narendra Modi has been successful in correctly implementing the Aadhar Yojana. Now, more than 111 crore people of the nation have their unique identification numbers. Thus, it has been easy for the government to track the activities of the individual. By and by, all aspects of the lives of the people are being brought under the Aadhar linking procedure. Is it booking tickets, applying for a passport, ration card, gas connection or registering under any scheme of the government, the production of the Aadhar document is a must.
When the ITR is filed successfully it needs to be verified, failing which it shall be considered invalid.
Till recently, to verify the Income Tax Return that had been filed, an assessee had to first download a form, from the official website of the Income Tax Department for the purpose of verification. This form is called the ITR-V, which is short for Income Tax Return Verification, and the assessee had to fill up the same, sign it and send it to Bangalore, where the Income Tax department’s Centralised Processing Centre or CPC was located. Once the CPC received a properly filled up ITR-V the return was said to be verified.
However in a bid to speed up the process and make it hassle free, the Income Tax Department has facilitated the online verification of the Income Tax return filed by individuals, thus for those taking advantage of the online facility, sending ITR-V to the Income Department’s CPC in Bangalore is no longer required.
The online verification can be done using 3 different methods:
- The first method is using an electronic verification code (EVC),
- Another method is using net banking facilities for verification
- Lastly the assessees can use their Aadhar Cards to verify their returns.
Linking the Aadhar card to the PAN for verification of ITR
To avail the facility of verifying the Income Tax Returns using their Aadhar Cards, the assessees shall have to first link their Aadhar Cards with their PAN (Permanent Account Number). Once the Aadhar card is successfully linked, the card holders can verify the ITR filed by them, by simply using the mobile number that is registered under their Aadhar details.
However before linking the Aadhar card to their PAN, the assessees should take note of a few points such as, the link shall be successful only if the details such as the Name, Date of Birth and the Gender of the card holder matches exactly under both, the Aadhar and the PAN details, of that person. Also any person should link the two only if they are still using the mobile number they had registered under the Aadhar scheme, otherwise linking it with PAN is meaningless.
Procedure for linking the Aadhar Card to the PAN
The procedure for linking the Aadhar card to the PAN is given below:
- To begin with the assessees are required to go to the website of the Income Tax department where the e-filing is done, and login to their account using their login id and password.
- Once they have successfully signed in, they are required to navigate to the tab which says ‘Profile settings’, once there they have to select the ‘Link Aadhar’ option, following which they shall be provided with a field where they will have to enter their Aadhar numbers and then click on ‘Link Now’.
- The system itself shall verify all the details using the Aadhar number, and if the details registered under the given Aadhar number match the details under the PAN number of the assessee then both of the numbers shall be successfully linked.
How to e-verify Income Tax Return using Aadhar card
The verification of an Income Tax Return can be done using the Aadhar card through an OTP or One time password sent to the mobile number associated with the Aadhar number. The step by step guide of verifying the ITR using Aadhar is given below:
- Firstly the assessee shall have to prepare the ITR properly and then submit the same using the online portal available at the Income Tax electronic filing website.
- After successfully submitting the ITR, a page containing various options for the verification of the ITR shall be displayed to the assessee. This page shall have various options but for those desirous to verify the ITR using their Aadhar number, the relevant option shall be ‘I would like to generate Aadhar OTP to e-verify my return’.
- Once the assessee chooses the above mentioned option an OTP is sent to the registered mobile number of the assessee. Care should be taken as the OTP is only valid for 10 minutes. The OTP so received has to be entered in the field given for the purpose on the webpage.
- Once the OTP is entered accurately the assessee shall be given a message that the return was verified successfully and an option to download the acknowledgement shall also be provided. The acknowledgment shall also be sent by an email to the registered email id of the assessee.
Once the above transaction is successful the assessee is no longer required to download and send the ITR-V to the Income Tax department’s CPC in Bangalore.
Linking the Aadhar card for e-tax filing
Filling the application form for returning tax is a must for all people. The sum collected as tax will help the government in implementing various kinds of facilities for the common people of the country. Thus, filing the tax return papers is a must for all.
According to the latest scheme of the government, it is necessary for everyone to produce their Aadhar number during the filing of the tax returns. This has been already decided by the parliament of the nation. All the tax return documents must be attached with the 12 figure code that is available on the Aadhar card.
Linking the Aadhar card with PAN application
According to the lasts decree of the government, anyone who is applying to get a PAN card will have to produce proper Aadhar documents. Without the linking of the Aadhar code, all PAN card will not be considered valid. Thus, it is about time that all the common citizens, desiring to get the PAN codes, get the Aadhar card at hand.
Launch date of the scheme
It has been said that the new rule will be put into motion on the strict basis from the coming financial year. To put it simply, all tax return forms and the PAN card application must be duly supported by the Aadhar card.
Importance of the Aadhar card for this scheme
Once the PAN application and the tax-return forms are properly linked with the Aadhar card, the government departments will not have to toil much for verifying the identification of the person. As the Aadhar card will contain all the biometric identification data of the person, the chance of fraud, foul play, errors and confusion can be easily ruled out. The income tax department will have no problems in the tracking of the people who have already filed the return and those who are left.
How to link the Aadhar code with the tax return form?
To get the Tax return forms duly attached to the Aadhar code, the person will have to get the PAN card linked to the Aadhar code. Without this, the government will not be able to identify the tax related activities. The candidate will have to go to the enrollment centres and fill the appropriate forms. This will enable them to get a valid Pan application, and the two cards will be properly linked to one another. Once the seeding is completed, the filing of the tax return will become easy and systematic.
Some Other Related Articles: